Movable Type Gripes
So far I'm pretty happy with running this blog on Moveable Type, but I'm going to gripe about it anyway. Gripe powers activate!
- New posts have the creation date/time set to GMT. This bites because by default all my posts show as being created 5 hours in the future, and if its at night they show as being created the next day. Kind reader, I am not a blogger sent from the future.
- The default post status is "Draft". More than once I've forgotten to select "Publish" and didn't know it. But sometimes I'm lucky and it takes exactly 5 hours before I realize it, and it saves me from having to edit that pesky GMT creation date/time.
- Using the QuickPost feature isn't quick. When I click the QuickPost bookmarklet, it doesn't select my blog by default (even though it's the only blog in the system), I must manually do it. Then I must also manually check the "Allow Comments" box and also like a regular post I must change the default post status from "Draft" to "Publish". Quick my ass, I checked, it's less clicks to make a regular post.
- The full title of the post isn't in the URL. It chops it off at 15 characters, which is shorter than nearly every title I write. For example "Movable Type Gripes" is 19 characters. 30 or 40 characters would be much better.
- No WYSIWYG editor. I thought I'd miss this more, but I'm getting used to writing all the HTML in the posts manually. I'd still like the option though.
David Pitkin set my ignant ass straight. The default post status and the timezone can be set from the blog config. I looked there, and I'm not sure how I missed it. Meh.
And for the quick post thing, just compose a new entry and bookmark the url. It's not quite the same a quickpost though, since it doesn't automatically generate a link to the current page. But close enough.
Posted March 23, 2005 8:16 PM